Collecting Certified vs. Uncertified coins
Coin collecting is a passion shared by all age groups, however, there are different groups of people that prefer certified over uncertified and vice versa. This is sometimes due to budget constraints or sometimes due to investment potential (though we do not recommend coins for investment purposes) and some for the shear pleasure of being able to handle a small piece of history.
Certified coin collectors usually like collecting them because:
1. The coin has been graded and is backed up with a guarantee of authenticity and grade (if the certifying company offers a guarantee.)
2. The coin is better protected from most environments as it is in a secure sealed holder.
3. A certified coin has a serial number that can be tracked and used for record keeping.
Collectors of uncerified or "raw" coins usually collect them for these reasons:
1. The tactile experience in holding a small piece of history between your fingers.
2. The collector is able to house them in albums or holders of their choosing.
3. Raw coins are easier to photograph, take up less storage space, and allow the owner to grade the coin by his or her own interpretation of grading.
Basically is comes down to what you prefer and what you are able to afford. We hope this information has been helpful.