Butane lighters are great to carry around. They look fantastic, they last forever, and they can be easily refilled whenever they stop working. Simply put, they are the best choice for anyone who wants a reliable option that they don’t have to replace constantly.
Whether you need a lighter to go camping or to satisfy your smoking habit, a butane option is certainly one of the best available to you. What happens if you keep it lit for a prolonged amount of time, though? Can you damage it or even destroy it?
The most important thing to note is that you should never keep any butane lighters lit for longer than necessary, especially the kind with a wick and packing material inside to hold fluid. If these lighters stay lit for too long, the fluid will evaporate and you will find that you are burning the actual wick and other materials instead of just the fluid. The end result could be anywhere from a device that requires a new wick to one that simply doesn’t work properly anymore. You may even find that this causes your device to start leaking.
Of course, keeping it lit too long is even more of a problem for lighters that are cheaply made. While a top quality item will be made of metal parts inside, some companies actually produce lighters with plastic parts. While this is certainly fine if your device is only lit long enough to ignite a cigarette or campfire, you will find that prolonged lighting can actually melt the parts inside, possibly even starting a small fire within the device. Because of this, it is absolutely crucial that you never keep it lit for any longer than you absolutely need so that it will continue to function properly.
If your lighters stay lit longer than needed, the simple fact is that they are not going to last nearly as long as they should. Top quality lighters come with a lifetime guarantee, but it is up to you to follow the proper instructions to ensure that they are able to last. If you leave them burning until the wick dries out, then you are certainly at high risk of destroying the wick and possible the entire inside of the device. With the right care, however, you can certainly keep yours in great shape.