How to ensure that one is buying Authentic Louis Vuitton products,
i.e. handbags, wallets and bracelets
i.e. handbags, wallets and bracelets
This guide is intended to assist potential buyers to identify authentic Louis Vuitton. The following basic information is presented in simple line by line detail in order to offer potential buyers clear, yet concise details on how to inspect ebay items for authenticity prior to bidding or buying...
- Louis Vuitton products NEVER, NEVER, I can't say it enough NEVER come with an authenticity card
- Louis Vuitton products are ALWAYS detailed and designed to perfection. There should be absolutely NO flaws in pattern, zippers, closures or position of feet on handbags or any LV product, etc.
- Louis Vuitton handbags that have a zip top closure, such as the cabas piano, mezzo, alto and so on, NEVER have a protruding tail at the opposite end of the zip top closure when the zipper pull is closed.
- Louis Vuitton products are ALWAYS sold with care tags, a small rectangular tag specifying the type of material from which the product is made, a detailed store receipt, dust cover (exception to this rule is luggage items and the duffle series (keep all) all of which are NEVER sold with dust covers, they do NOT exist for duffle and luggage items)
- Louis Vuitton products NEVER come with a small rectangular tag that identifies the catalogue model number of the item. As noted just above, LV items ONLY come with a small rectangular tag identifying the material from which the item is made.
- Louis Vuitton products ALWAYS have a serial number, known as a date code, engraved on the item, in a discreet location on the inside of the item. The date code may be stamped on the item material itself or on a small rectangular piece of cowhide trim on the inside of a pocket or under a d-ring.
- Unless the LV item in question is a vintage piece (where numbers only were initially used), ALL Louis Vuitton product date codes ALWAYS inlcude 2 letters and 4 numbers. The date code begins by the letters and ends by the numbers.
- Louis Vuitton's return/exchange policy is 30 days from date of purchase after which all sales are final.
- Louis Vuitton is a luxury item, so if it is being auctioned at a cheap price or a price that is too good to be true, it is...why would anyone sell his/her Louis Vuitton items for less than value? My answer, they wouldn't!!! NEVER!!!
- Prices of Louis Vuitton products are MUCH cheaper in France than outside of France.
- Pay attention to detail in the auction listing description and color variations in auction listing photos. I have recently seen some fairly good imitation LV handbags (not just the traditional monogram canvas either) being auctioned as authentic for very high prices.
- IF you have any questions about an auction item, ALWAYS ask the following questions, a serious and honest seller will ALWAYS be able to supply the answers to the following questions:
- Where did the seller get or purchase the bag?
- Does the seller have the detailed sales receipt? If not, why?
- Why is the seller selling the bag?
- If bag is being auctioned cheaply, ask for an explanation?
- What is the datecode?
- Does the seller guarantee authenticity?
- I have seen sellers auctioning items that were clearly NOT authentic, yet the seller guaranteed authenicity or full refund. I have also seen sellers auctioning NON-authentic items and actually declaring "know your seller, etc" and providing information to claim themselves as only selling or dealing in authentic luxury items. Making such a declaration and then selling NON-authentic items is not only fraudulent but theft. And, seeing such sellers declaring themselves as specialists or third party verification sources is both professionally and personally unacceptable.
- I, franceotbp, am NOT an authenticator or third party verification source. I am a French-American business woman living between France and the US. I own a reputable international business based in both the US and France called Off the Beaten Path, LLC (http://www.traveloffthebeatenpath.com) and offer my company and its' exceptional reputation as re-assurance that all Louis Vuitton products I sell are indeed authentic. I am a VIP customer at Louis Vuitton Paris and avid collector of both traditional pieces and limited edition pieces.
- Any ebayer purchasing an authentic item from my, franceotbp, auctions will ALWAYS receive the item, exactly as described and presented in detailed photos, care booklet and tag (specifying the material from which item was made), dust cover (sometimes the box, but I like them so I tend to keep them), either the original purchase receipt or in the case where there are multiple items on the same purchase receipt, the buyer will receive a copy of the receipt.
- I, franceotbp, also ship all my Louis Vuitton products with a security tag that once removed cannot be re-attached and prevents any fraudulent switching of items by buyer.