McCoy was one of the most prolific cookie jar companies in the U.S., so many jars were made that many people don't even think about the other companies when they find a jar and list it for sale with the wrong name.. If it's old, it must be McCoy or so they think A visit around the Internet or a book will help identify the real thing and save you from making costly mistakes.
- Watch out for reproductions of McCoy jars such as the Cauliflower Mammy and the Dalmations in Rocking Chair.
But it's not only honest mistakes that plague our hobby, it's the jars that were made to deceive the buyer. The name McCoy has shown up on numerous jars that were NOT made by the real McCoy Company. Again a book or two is a great resource, as well as a visit around the Internet to resources that show McCoy jars, show the fakes and tell you what to look for.
Things to watch out for:
- A seller might say "McCoy" is on the bottom of the jar, not calling it a McCoy but making one believe it is authentic. Anyone making a ceramic jar can write the name McCoy on the bottom and they do!
- Many times the jar was "discovered" in an estate sale. It must have been a recent death, because the jars are brand new! And the seller usually has several identical or similar jars for sale. Also check a sellers completed auctions to see if they offered other "rare" jars.
- Heavy, dark crazing on the jar can be another warning sign. Yes, old jars have crazing, but not as evenly distributed and not covering the entire jar as many of these fake jars have.
- McCoy did not license Disney jars, hence if it's a McCoy Snow White or Pooh, it's not the real deal.
Most important of all -- McCoy NEVER, EVER made a Little Red Riding Hood jar.
Most jars are just sloppy looking!
Cookie Jar collecting is a fun hobby and with thousands of authentic jars available to purchase there is no reason to buy a fake jar that is meant to deceive. Get the real thing!
Other jars McCoy DID NOT MAKE include Betty Boop, Mr. Peanut, Cow Jumped Over the Moon, Gingerbread Turnabout, or Smiley Pigs.