BREAKFAST IN A COOKIE
Bake these tasty treats at home and freeze until you make the final assembly of camp food. These are great on their own, or combine with hard boiled eggs for a quick nutritious breakfast.
- 1/3 cup whole bran cereal (All Bran)
- 1/2 cup orange juice
- 3/4 cup margarine or butter, softened. Don't use the stuff in the tubs, use the stick variety.
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1 egg
- 1/4 cup honey
- 1-1/2 teaspoons vanilla
- 1 cup flour (plus a teaspoon or two)
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/3 cup non-fat dry milk
- 2 teaspoons grated orange peel
- 1 cup rolled oats (plus a teaspoon or two)
- 1 cup chopped nuts
- 1 cup raisins or currents
Combine cereal and OJ in a bowl and let stand. Cream butter, sugar, egg, honey and vanilla. Blend in with the soaked cereal. Stir together the flour, baking power, baking soda, salt and milk. Mix in with the bran mixture. Add the orange peel, oats, nuts and raisins. Mix well. Add a little flour and/or oatmeal if the dough is too sticky. Drop cookies by teaspoonfuls onto a lightly greased cookie sheet. Bake at 375 degrees for 10 to 12 minutes or until golden brown. Makes 2 dozen easy to pack cookies.
You'll like these so much, you'll be making them for a quick breakfast at home !!
SWISS STYLE CEREAL
This is much like the commercial product with a similar name.
- 1 cup whole filberts
- 1 cup whole blanched almonds
- 3 cups quick-cooking rolled oats
- 3/4 cups sweetened wheat germ
- 1 cup dried currants
- 2/3 cup dried apricots, finely chopped
- 3/4 cup brown sugar, firmly packed
Toast nuts on a baking sheet in a 300 degree oven until lightly browned. Rub filberts to loosen some of the brown skin; chop both nuts coarsely. Combine with remaining ingredients. Blend well and pack in a plastic bag. At camp when ready to serve, add dry milk powder to each serving and stir in enough water to desired consistency. For cold mornings, pour hot water over the cereal. Makes 8 cups.
If you have found the information helpful in my Guide, please rate it with a yes vote.