I am writing this guide in an effort to help others to learn about Webkinz and Lil' Kinz plush pets and how to go about making an informed purchase of one of these items. I have been following the Webkinz trend for about two years. I have seen it go from just another plush pet to one of the most sought after items on and off Ebay. Make sure to arm yourself with some very important facts before you purchase one of these items by auction.
A rail strike in Canada, Chinese New Year's and the fact that they are highly sought after for their secondary resale value, Webkinz are quickly grabbing a strong foothold as a very collectible item with incredible high resale potential. Consumers are gobbling these up with the same veracity as the Beanie Baby craze of the late 90's.
What is a Webkinz?
A Webkinz or Lil' Kinz is a plush pet that arrives from Webkinz with its own unique special tag and Webkinz secret code that can only be read AFTER it has been purchased. This code is the password into Webkinz World, an interactive, educational, online environment created for the entire family to enjoy and interact. After logging in, the adoption process begins and kids can name and learn all about their new Webkinz pet and print their adoption certificate. It is a wonderful world of learning activities . There are rooms to build and design, trivia challenges to play and lots of arcade games too. You can shop for clothes, food, toys and furniture at the W shop. Members of the family can challenge each other in the arcade and be assured that kids are in an Internet Safe environment. No one can contact your child for personal information. It is all age appropriate.
Each Webkinz or Lil' Kinz comes with a year's access to Webkinz World. When your account expires, you have fourteen (14) days to renew your account after which you will no longer be able to access your Webkinz account.
Did your Webkinz arrive without a Magic W?
Not to worry! When Webkinz were first made, they did not have Magic W's on their paws. When the inventory was depleted and more were created, the Magic W's were added. Although Googles was recently released, he was one of the first Webkinz created and does not have a Magic W.
To renew an account, you will need to purchase another Webkinz or Lil' Kinz toy and adopt it as a pet. All of your current pets, items, rooms and KinzCash will be kept for a minimum of thirty (30) days from the date your account expires.
The following Webkinz plush pets have been or will soon be released:
- Alley Cat
- Basset Hound
- Black & White Cat
- Black Bear
- Black Lab
- Cheeky Cat - Retired. Highly collectible
- Cheeky Dog - Retired. Highly collectible
- Cheeky Monkey - Soon to be retired
- Cocker Spaniel
- Gold and White Cat
- Golden Retriever
- Grey and White Cat - Retired. Highly collectible
- Halloween Black Cat - To be released in Fall of 2007
- Love Puppy - Seasonal and super cute!
- Persian Cat
- Pink Pony
- Pink Poodle
- Polar Bear
- Reindeer - To be released Christmas 2007
- Sherbet Bunny - Seasonal
- St. Bernard
- Tree Frog
- Unicorn - Retired. Highly collectible
- West Highland White Terrier
- White Poodle
- Read the entire auction listing thoroughly to determine whether your bid is for an ON HAND item or a PRE SALE item. On hand means Ready to Ship. Pre Sales means that you have to wait an undetermined amount of time before you will receive your item. In a rapidly changing environment where supply and demand fluctuate, you may want to think twice about tying up your money.
- Make sure that the item you bid on has a SEALED tag with an UNUSED code. If you receive a Webkinz or Lil' Kinz whose code has been used, you WILL NOT be allowed membership in the Webkinz World - NO MATTER WHAT.
- Many sellers post Ganz's stock photo of the item. Request a photo of the actual item for sale. This is the only way you can gauge the condition. Ask for close-up photos of sealed tags. I have noticed that many Lil' Kinz have been listed on Ebay as a Webkinz.
- Most importantly, once you receive your Webkinz or Lil' Kinz, DO NOT lose the code. Ganz will not issue a new code. The only way to gain membership into the Webkinz World will be to buy another Webkinz or Lil' Kinz.
- Lastly, if you've already purchased a Webkinz or Lil' Kinz and you have children, let me say one thing: Go ahead and opened the sealed tag and let your kids log on to the Webkinz website. You'll be surprised at how quickly they learn without even knowing that they are learning!!