A jacket isnt just easy-to-carry insurance against chilly weather; its a fashion statement encompassing a huge variety of styles and textures. From athletic jackets to wool overcoats and leather or suede jackets to faux furs, youll find all the latest looks, materials, and brands on eBay.
Select the Right Jacket Style for You
Theres a wide array of jacket styles for you to choose from:
- Wool overcoats: Keep the cold temperatures at bay with a rich, luxuriously textured wool overcoat. Available in short-, mid-, and full-length jackets, they add a touch of elegance to your evening stroll. Even more sumptuous than a pure wool overcoat is a wool-and-cashmere combo; find them from Perry Ellis, Anne Klein, and Cole Haan.
- Contemporary jackets: Clean lines, edgy styling, and unexpected textural contrasts put the contemporary in these jackets. Bomber jackets, jean jackets, and corduroy jackets are a few examples that fit in this category. Juicy Couture, Marc by Marc Jacobs, and Nanette Lepore serve up some stylish options.
- Leather and suede jackets: Leather and suede jackets project a strong, confident, individual style that never goes out of fashion. Bombers and blazers in short- and full-length cuts and a virtual rainbow of colors fit every personality.
- Performance/athletic outerwear: Greet everything from a springtime breeze to a wintertime rainstorm in sturdy and adaptable fleeces, athletic jackets, windbreakers, or anoraks. Velcro closures, storm flaps, and elasticized cuffs keep you warm and dry year-round. Excellent choices are available from Patagonia, Columbia, and The North Face.
- Vests: Always fashionable, vests are a fun and casual option on brisk days. Down-filled models keep things warm and toasty whatever the weather.
Explore Jacket Materials
Every material has its own special characteristics:
- Fleece: Fleece has a light, comfortable, casual feel that you'll love if you lead an active lifestyle. Polar fleece is the generic name for a variety of performance fleece fabrics, usually made of polyester, that help keep you warm and dry in the great outdoors. The original Polar Fleece was created by Maiden Mills. You can also find lightweight polyester Artic Fleece and 100-percent polyester Yukon Fleece.
- Nylon: Wear sturdy, tough, and adaptable nylon jackets in any kind of weather. Windbreakers and ski jackets are fine examples. For breathable, waterproof options, look for fabrics enhanced with laminates. For extra warmth in cooler weather, consider a jacket with added insulation, such as Thinsulate.
- Leather: Embossed or distressed leather or suede jackets of cowhide or lambskin put you front and center. Embroidery, metallic accents, and unexpected color options further display your individuality.
- Microfiber: Twice as fine as silk, and with a finish thats unbelievably soft to the touch, microfiber jackets are available in four supple varieties: acrylic microfibers, nylon microfibers, polyester microfibers, and rayon microfibers.
- Wool: Wool isnt just made from sheep or lamb fleece anymore. Wool jackets can just as easily be composed of luxurious cashmere, angora, or exotic camel, alpaca, llama, or vicua.
- You should know the names of several popular performance fabrics when shopping for outerwear.
- Polartec: Polartec Microfleece from Maiden Mills is an even softer, lighter version of Polar Fleece. It has a "velvety" feel. Other Polartec fabrics found in outerwear include:
- Polartec Classic fabrics: Polartec Classic fabrics are lightweight, breathable, and often worn as an insulating layer. Polartec Classic 100 is lightest and offers similar protection to a sweater, Polartec Classic 200 offers another degree of lightweight warmth, and Polartec Classic 300 provides a thermal layer for cold weather.
- Polartec Thermal Pro fabrics: Polartec Thermal Pro fabrics provide a lightweight insulating layer for cold weather condition.
- Polartec WindPro fabrics: Polartec WindPro, a breathable fabric offering more wind-resistance than standard Polar Fleece.
- Polartec Windbloc fabrics: Polartec Windbloc is a wind-proof performance fabric.
- Polartec Power Shield: Polartec Power Shield is a lightweight, breathable fabric that offers protection from light rain and snow.
- Gore-Tex: Durable Gore-Tex is windproof, waterproof, and breathable, allowing moisture from your body to escape while keeping you warm and is often used for outer shells. It's available in a lightweight two-layer construction or heavier three-layer construction offering greater durability. Gore-Tex XCR offers increased moisture-wicking during intense outdoor activity. If you like to hike or backpack, consider easy-to-pack outerwear made of lightweight Gore-Tex Paclite fabric. Gore-Tex soft shell fabrics make a good choice for those looking for a soft, waterproof outerwear garment offering warmth, comfort, and flexibility.
- Windstopper: Durable Windstopper fabrics are windproof, lightweight, and breathable. Windstopper soft shell fabrics act as a water-repellent shell and insulating layer.
- Dryloft: Dryloft, a windproof and water-resistant fabric often used in parkas, allows moisture from your body to escape while keeping the insulation in your jacket dry.
Choose Jacket Details That Meet Your Needs
Whether youre an outdoor enthusiast or just like the look of performance gear, consider some convenient, higher-tech features for increased comfort, durability, and versatility while withstanding the elements.
- Utility pockets: Store bulky winter gloves in expandable cargo pockets, keep ski goggles handy in double entry pockets that are accessible from the top or side, and secure valuables such as your passport or cell phone in hidden, under-placket pockets that are perfect for traveling. Brands such as Mountain Hardwear, Salomon, and Arcteryx offer functional jackets built for snow sports, mountain climbing, and extreme weather conditions.
- Climate control: Proprietary activewear materials such as Windstopper and Coolmax have special coatings to help whisk away moisture on the inside while preventing wind and cold from penetrating from the outside. Many athletic designs also include strategic side vents for greater breathability, and raglan sleeves for ease of movement.
- 3-in-1 systems: Be ready for anything in a multi-seasonal jacket with a zip-out fleece liner. Both pieces can be worn alone or together, so you can be prepared when temperatures change. Look for pieces made with waterproof or water-resistant fabrics for even more possibilities. Find this popular style from brands such as Columbia, The North Face, Nike, Adidas, and even Prada.
- Special touches: For more rugged lifestyles, toughen up with ripstop fabrics and polyurethane coatings. Storm flaps and welts that seal off zippered areas keep you dry in a sudden downpour-great when camping or hiking. Consider jackets with reflective piping or other markings that stand out in the dark if you run or cycle.
Get the Perfect Fit for Your Jacket
Choose the ideal fit for your style:
- Oversized: Try a nicely draped loose wool jacket to achieve a sophisticated oversized look.
- Fitted: To achieve the fitted look, choose jackets with tapered waists or "A-line" cuts (jackets that hug the upper body and flow at the hips). Keep in mind that leather jackets are often cut smaller than other styles so if youre considering purchasing a leather jacket, you may want to get it one size bigger than you normally would.
For more help, read our guide on How to Get the Right Fit, then consult our sizing charts to find the right size for you. Always check the item listing for fit descriptions and size charts, however, sincesize and fitmay vary across designer brands.
Find Jackets on eBay
Once you know what type of jacket you want, go to the Clothing, Shoes, & Accessories portal. For men, click Mens Clothing, then Outerwear. For women, click Womens Clothing, then Outerwear, and start searching for item listings on eBay.
- Keyword search: Search eBay listing titles for specific words. For example, if you want to find a raincoat, type "raincoat" (without the quotation marks) into the Search box. Click "Search title and description" to expand your results. Visit eBay's Search Tips page for more tips on searching with keywords.
If you can't find exactly what you want, try shopping eBay Stores, tell the eBay Community what you want by creating a post on Want It Now, or save a search on My eBay and eBay will email you when a match becomes available.
Buy Jackets With Confidence
Before making your purchase, make sure you know exactly what you're buying, research your seller, and understand how eBay and PayPal protect you.
Know your purchase
Carefully read the details in item listings.
Figure delivery costs into your final price. If you spend a lot of money, make sure the seller will insure the item when it ships.
If you want more information, ask by clicking the "Ask seller a question" link under the seller's profile.
Always make sure to complete your transaction on eBay (with a bid, Buy It Now, or Best Offer). Transactions conducted outside of eBay are not covered by eBay protection programs.
Never pay for your eBay item using instant cash wire transfer services through Western Union or MoneyGram. These payment methods are unsafe when paying someone you do not know.
Know your seller
Research your seller so you feel positive and secure about every transaction.
What is the seller's Feedback rating? How many transactions have they completed? What percentage of positive responses do they have?
What do buyers say in their Feedback? Did the seller receive praise?
Most top eBay sellers operate like retail stores and have return policies. Do they offer a money-back guarantee? What are the terms and conditions?
In the unlikely event that you don't receive your item or it is not as described, eBay Buyer Protection will cover your purchase price plus original shipping. Learn more.