Looking for an easy homemade gift for someone special? A no sew fleece blanket is very easy and relatively quick to make.
BEFORE YOU BEGIN:
One thing you will need to decide is how large (or small ) you would like your blanket. Here is general guide of how to decide what size blanket you will need.
- 1/2 yard or 3/4 yard = Baby Blanket
- 1 yard = Child's ( this is the perfect size for nap time!)
- 1 1/2 yard = Perfect for younger adults or snuggling on the couch - also a good size for toddler bedding
- 1 3/4 yard or 2 yard = Great for adults - especially males
- 2 1/2 yards = This would be the size I would make for someone wanting to use this blanket at bedtime. It is about the length of a twin.
If you do not have a specific print in mind take a look in the remnant section - these are pieces that are from the end of the bolt of fabric and range anywhere from 1/2 yard to 2 yards and can be a lot less expensive. Also be sure to check out the sales - I would say never pay full price for fleece, you can almost always find them on sale for up to 50% off if you look for the sales.
WHAT YOU WILL NEED:
- (2) Two pieces of fleece of the size chosen above - you will generally choose a print for the front and a solid color for the back - but it's your blanket go for what you like!
- Scissors ( or a Rotary Cutter )
- A large area to lay out your fabric
- Measuring tape or Ruler
LET'S GET STARTED!
- First you will need to trim the salvages of the edge of both pieces of fabric - you can recognize the salvage by the very thin appearance of the fabric and frayed edges. There are usually dotted lines - I like to use that as my guide it will keep you fairly straight but don't worry too much if it's not perfect.
- Lay the back piece out flat - RIGHT SIDE DOWN - this is generally the softer side and doesn't matter too much if it is a solid color. If you can't figure out which is which - stretch the end of the fabric slightly it will curl to the bottom (wrong side)
- Lay the top piece on top of the bottom piece RIGHT SIDE UP - on a print it will generally be very easy to tell which is which. If there is writing you should be able to read it.
- Next you are going to cut a 4"x4" square out of each corner of the two fabrics
- Starting at the bottom edge where you cut the square you are going to cut a strip about 1" in and 4" high - Continue this until you get to the end of that side of the blanket. It is up to you whether you will want to cut all sides first or tie that edge before cutting the next. For beginners I suggest you cut all four sides before tying.
- Next you are going to tie your knots! It really doesn't matter which way you tie them as long as you stay consistent. I like to bring the bottom piece up first then repeat. So you will tie twice. Continue on until all pieces are tied. Be careful not to tie them too tight as it will cause it to bunch. If you get a bunched spot give a slight tug between the two knots and it should help.
- When all pieces are tied - I like to tug all sides just a little to make sure there is no bunching and all sides are equal.
TA DA!!! You have now made your very own fleece no sew blanket! I hope this was helpful, and if all else fails......grab a glass of wine and just order one from me!!