How to Care For your Butcher Blocks / Cutting Boards
If properly taken care of the average person can extend
the life of their butcher block by 5-10 years.
• Depending on the use of your butcher block, apply an even coat of Carolina
Butcher Block’s Mineral Oil to the surface of your butcher block every month.
Wipe off any excess using a sponge or a rag.
• DO NOT ALLOW MOISTURE OF ANY TYPE to stand on the block for long
periods of time. This can cause the wood to expand, soften and will affect
the over all strength of the butcher block.
• Use a good steel scraper or spatula to keep the cutting surface clean and
sanitary. Do not use a steel brush on the cutting surface of your block!
• Be sure to NEVER cut continuously in the same place on the top of your
block. Instead, distribute your cutting over the entire work surface so that it
will wear evenly. DON’T use a razor-edged cleaver. This type of blade will
chip or splinter the wood and produce soft spots. Your cleaver should have
a dull sharpened edge for best results
• NEVER wash your blocks with harsh detergents of any type. NEVER wash
your butcher block in the dishwasher. You may use a small amount of
bleach and water to sterilize your block.
• At the conclusion of a day’s work preparing meat or food on your butcher
block, scraping the block will remove 75% of the moisture. After scraping,
immediately dry thoroughly with an absorbent towel. This assures an odorless,
clean cutting surface for the nexd day or use. This also prevents premature
quick deterioration of the work surface.
Check out our ebay store for all your cutting board needs
Charleston Cutting Boards and Butcher Blocks