HOW TO: Google Base Feeds from Your eBay Store
I don't know anything about the Google Base Feed and have always been curious about why people do it manually or
automatically since I thought eBay did it for us.
This is why we like to do our own feed (and we upload manually just because we like the control) for a few reasons:
1. The eBay provided upload is not always complete while the manual upload is - at least when Google is working properly. Please note that the feed ONLY provides Store Inventory Format items and NOT Auction or Fixed Price Items.
2. If we add new items to the store or add a new product line we like to get that up right away and not wait for eBay's
3. When eBay uploads your items the store name in Google is eBay. When you upload - and this is a biggie to us - the store
name is YOUR STORE NAME and we like that branding and you will too!
4. When eBay uploads they only upload a portion of your inventory as opposed to when we upload and get everything that is in our store inventory format.
5. When eBay uploads we frequently are missing the picture in the Google listing. When we upload we always get our
6. When eBay uploads they need to process millions of products from millions of sellers so they need to utilize a
different methodology than we do to get the information to Google. This allows us a little more flexibility to modify our
upload file prior to sending it to Google.
7. And finally we have always seen the marketing and promotion of our online stores as our responsibility just like with our regular store.
Here's how to do your own upload:
FROM THE EBAY SIDE:
Go to Manage My Store:
1. Click on the link for Listing Feeds on the left hand side which brings up a page that offers 2 choices; one of which is
labeled in gray as the Google Base file with your store name in it. It carries the ?fmt=g.
(IMPORTANT NOTE: ON THIS PAGE UNDER SEARCH ENGINE AND COMPARISON SITES THERE IS A RADIO
BUTTON FOR - MAKE A FILE OF YOUR STORE INVENTORY LISTINGS AVAILABLE - THIS MUST BE CHECKED AND IT WILL TAKE EBAY APPROXIMATELY 12 HOURS - OR SO - TO CREATE IT FOR YOUR STORE).
2. For the Google link - "http://esssl.ebay.com/GetListings/Seller'sStoreName?fmt=g" - LEFT click on it and the file will open and begin to build.
3. BE PATIENT as the file takes a while to build. You can tell when the file is completely built if - when you scroll to the very bottom the last line is ""</rss>"" (WITHOUT THE QUOTATION MARKS). That is the end-of-file marker for an xml file. Here is an example from my file for one item - yours should look similar:
<title><![CDATA[Halloween Bubbles n Spider Cotton Quilt Fat Quarters FQ]]></title>
<description><![CDATA[Halloween Bubbles n Spiders Click to view supersize image Especially for you from The Quilted Pug:A fat quarter (18" x 22") of 100% cotton - rotary cut quality quilters fabric. The colors are Rich and Deep. Halloween bubbles with Bats n Spiders on Black in this fantastic quilt fabric. Fabric is by SSI. Build your stash or
use in any craft project. Supersize the picture for really good detail...Use for any of your quilting,sewing or art quilt
projects! Build your stash or use in any craft project]]></description>
IGNORE THE QUOTATION MARKS AT THE BEGINNING AND THE END - THEY ARE PRESENT ONLY SO THAT I
COULD INCLUDE THE EXAMPLE IN THIS GUIDE.
NOTE THE g: for the Google specific entries.......
4. Go to File>Save As in your browser, pick a location or create a new folder, and save it with your file name and
a .xml file extension. Once again - be patient as the file may take a while to save to your hard drive - keep an eye on your drive light or just grab a cup of tea and it should be done.
5. You're done on the eBay side.
FROM THE GOOGLE SIDE:
If you already have a Google Account:
6. Sign into Google and go to base.
7. Click on the box that says Register a new feed.
8. Select PRODUCTS from the drop down box and Googlebase appears on it's own.
9. Enter your file name with the .xml file extension (the one you just saved) and click on REGISTER.
10. Now you should be back at the FEEDS screen on Google. Your newly REGISTERED file name should be there. If
not hit Ctrl F5 to refresh the screen. I have had to do this from time to time because Google was pretty slow!
11. Under your file name - down and a little to the right there is a blue UPLOAD FILE link. Click on this and it will bring up a window for you to browse your hard drive for the file you saved.
12. Navigate to where you saved the file and you should see it. Click on the file name and it will appear in the box.
Click on UPLOAD AND PROCESS THIS FILE.
13. Your file will automatically upload to Google and a yellow box with black letters appears telling you that Google is
processing the file and it may take an hour (sometimes longer if Google is busy).
14. Check back every so often and eventually your file will have processed and any errors are available via the details
15. Please note that this process only uploads your items to Google Base. It may take up to 24 hours for Google to process and make your items published and searchable so plan your uploads with this in mind.
NOTES ON YOUR GOOGLE ACCOUNT:
1. Go to Google and sign in (If you don't have a Google account you will need to create one). Pay particular
attention to numbers 5, 6 and 7 that follow.
2. Go to My Account at top right.
3. Click on Base.
4. Under ALREADY USE GOOGLE BASE? Click on the link -Should say View (your email address) items - if you have
any - or Sign into Google Base.
5. On the next screen look at the top LEFT of the screen. There are two TABS one of which is SETTINGS. Click on
this and it will bring up a screen that either you have previously filled out or PERHAPS have never filled out. There are just a few entries but the MOST IMPORTANT is - Website URL.
6. The format is: http://stores.ebay.com/Your-Store-Name (You can simply go to your storefront click on the link and
copy and paste it into the WEBSITE URL field in Google. Be sure to use the dashes in place of spaces. THE STORE NAME IS CASE SENSITIVE!
7. Yours should look something like: http://stores.ebay.com/Your-Store-Name (PLEASE don't use Your-Store-Name
8. Make sure the remainder of the form is completed properly.
9. Save this information.
Premium Frame Rim TPU BK Base Bumper Case Cover Skin for LG Google Nexus 5Buy It NowFree shipping
Replacement SCREWS SONY GOOGLE NSX-40GT1 NSX-46GT1 LED TV PEDESTAL STAND BASEBuy It NowFree shipping
Data Sync Charger Cradle Dock Station Base With USB Cable For LG Google Nexus 4Buy It NowFree shipping
VIDEO GAME STORE - Fully Automated Home Based Business - Amazon+Google AffiliateBuy It NowFree shipping
Cradle Desktop Sync & Charging Base Dock Charger For Google Nexus 7 II 2 2ndBuy It NowFree shipping
Data Sync Charger Cradle Dock Station Base With USB Cable For Google Nexus 7 2Buy It NowFree shipping