|Sony HDR-CX100/B 8GB Digital HD Video Camcorder Black|
New other (see details)
Returns not accepted
North Hollywood, CA, USA
|Sony Handycam HDR-CX100 8 GB Camcorder - Black|
Returns not accepted
Free shippingBuy it now
Free shippingBuy it now
Free shipping0 bids
|Expanded Product Features|
|Expanded Product Features|
|UPC||0027242765023, 027242765023, 689466114201, 689466114225, 689466114232, 689466114256, 689466115208, 689466115215, 705105023618, 705105023717, 705105024011, 705105024110|
|Storage Type||Removable (Card/Disc/Tape)|
|Media Format||Flash card|
|Sensor Type||ClearVid CMOS|
|Optical Sensor Qty||1|
|Lens Type||Zoom lens|
|Focal Length Range||3.2mm - 32mm|
|Focus Adjustment||Automatic, Manual|
|Lens Filter Size||30 mm|
|Lens System Features||Built-in lens shield|
|Auto Focus type||TTL contrast detection|
|Lens Manufacturer||Carl Zeiss|
|Max Shutter Speed||1/1000 sec|
|Min Shutter Speed||1/60 sec|
|Exposure Modes||Automatic, Program|
|Memory / Storage|
|Integrated Memory size||8 GB|
|Recording Speed||HQ, LP, SP|
|Supported Flash Memory||Memory Stick, Memory Stick PRO Duo|
|Video Recording Length||3 Hours|
|Screen Details||LCD display - TFT active matrix - 2.7" - color|
|Microphone Type||Microphone - built-in - electret condenser - surround|
|Microphone Operation Mode||Surround|
|Connector Types||1 x HDMI output, 1 x S-Video output, 1 x USB, 1 x component video output, 1 x composite video/audio output|
|Expansion Slot||1 x Memory Stick PRO Duo|
|Battery Form Factor||Manufacturer specific|
|Battery Manufacturer||Sony NP-FH50|
|Effective Still Resolution||2.0 MP|
|Digital Video Format||AVCHD, MPEG-2|
|Still Image Format||JPEG|
|Additional Features||Backlight Compensation, Dolby Digital AC-3 (2 channel) Recording, Dynamic Range Optimizer, PictBridge Support, Smile Detection technology, Still Shot Capability, Takes Photos While Movie Recording, Touch-Screen Control, USB 2.0 Compatibility, face detection|
|High Definition Video Support||1080i|
|Widescreen Video Capture||Yes|
|Shooting Modes||Digital Photo Mode|
Compact and attractive; above-average low-light video.
Not terribly great lens; occasionally awkward design.
You can tell where Sony cut corners on this compact, flash-based HD camcorder. While it's decent, there are better options for the money than the Sony Handycam HDR-CX100.
Average review score based on 6 user reviews
of customers recommend this product
I just purchased this video camera on Monday evening, Feb. 6, 2012 from Beach Camera and received it today. I have only been able to work/play with the camera for a few hours, but these are my experiences so far.
1. This was my first experience ordering from Beach Camera, through Amazon. Was a little concerned at first when product didn't ship for a couple of days, but when they did ship, it must have been shipped two day priority, because it arrived halfway across the country by Saturday. Package arrived in perfect shape and sealed in factory condition. So far, impressed by Beach Camera and their service.
2. Camera is physically much smaller than I expected. It feels about the same size of a can of soda laying on it's side. Very nice! My last video camera was a Panasonic mini dv. That camera was a decent size, but this Sony is even more compact and fits very nice in my hand. The controls, zoom, photo button and record button all line up nicely and are easy to use. The camera feels solidly built, just as most sony products.
3. One item that I was concerned about was whether there was an available SD or memory card slot to add memory. The Sony website doesn't really make it clear whether there is that feature, or if it's just the internal memory. Well I can positively confirm that there IS a SD memory card slot on the bottom side of the camera. A little door flaps open and you insert the card. It probably accepts a memory stick too, but I only tried a SDHC extreme memory card 16gb card. Worked perfectly!
4. Now, for the feature that was the biggest hit with my family.... the built in projector! This is truly amazing technology. I projected a few of the short movie clips I just took, onto a large empty wall, and we were all totally amazed at the quality and sound. I backed up about 15 feet from the wall and projected an approximate image of 8 feet across. I am impressed at the image it can project at such a distance. Our wall is painted a medium brown color and it still looked good. Of course it would look even better if the wall was white or was actually projected onto a movie screen. Sound is pretty much what you'd expect from a pair of small speakers, sort of tinny, but it was pretty loud and definitely good enough to sit around and listen to our home movies. Good job Sony!
5. As for the quality of the video, this is what I've experienced so far. I played around briefly with the top two quality settings, 60i and 60p. I hooked the camera directly to my HD tv via the HDMI cable that came with the camera. The 60p looked slightly better, but both videos looked great. The video I took was at night, with only interior lighting on and it still looked great. I can't wait to see what daytime video looks like. It was super easy to view the video on the tv. As soon as I plugged the camera into the tv, the tv recognized the device and displayed exactly what was on the LCD screen. The only annoying thing was the sound coming out of the video camera and the tv at the same time, gave it an echo sound. I'm sure there is a way to turn down the sound on the video camera when plugged into the tv, just haven't figured it out yet.
6. Another feature I love is the crispness of the LCD screen. The high resolution of the screen makes the image so clear and easy to view. Love it! The only minor complaint I would have of the screen is the touchscreen feature. So far it seems like I have to press on the screen twice in the same spot to activate what ever button
I researched camera's for a while, prices, second hand prices, memory, hd and quality, and I ended up here. This camera at first sight looked good, small compact, the YouTube videos of the cameras quality made my jaw drop, the possibilities looked pretty endless.
So I received the camera, had a few issues, there was cosmetic damage underneath the camera that wasn't shown in the pictures but I was able to scratch it off, they had forgotten the hand strap as well but with a quick message to them and a quick reply all my problems were sorted, amazing customer service.
The camera itself has amazing quality, 1080p HD, easy to use, small and compact and heaps of room to take footage, you won't run through the 8gig of memory that fast at all because by then you've already uploaded it to your computer ready to continue using it again. I will say though that battery life is... painful.
I use the cx100 in my job as a skydiving videographer. Its excellent for outdoor use and its small size and steadyshot make it a great all around camera. However it is not the best camera for lowlight situations. All in all its a great camera for the price.
1080i HD recorded to internal memory stick. NO TAPE TRANSPORT to wear out or break. Lens cap is built in and opens with a flick of a switch. Colors and images are crisp, clear and amazing! Great LCD screen that has a touch-screen for selecting shots during playback and for making video setting adjustments. The Carl Zeiss lens is crystal clear and optional lenses and filters can be attached to the threaded ring built into the front. A large wide-angle lens makes a great addition to this camera and it even has a setting you can select in the menu to compensate for it. Exporting video can be tricky into older computers as the 1080i is recorded in an advanced CODEC and may require buying a third-party device to import and edit. The footage can be played directly to an HD tv with an HDMI mini cable for explosive full-range images and sound.
I bougth this Sony Handycam HDR-CX100/B 8 GB Camcorder, because this product can shoot a high definition video, and while you are shooting a video, you can take a photo. Video and phote quality of these camcorder is perfect. Ergonomy of this product is awesome.