|Record Label:||Universal Special Products|
|Genre:||Girl Groups, Oldies|
1. I Heard It Through the Grapevine - Gladys Knight & the Pips
2. Pride and Joy - Marvin Gaye
3. Baby Love - The Supremes
4. You Beat Me to the Punch - Mary Wells
5. Dancing in the Street - Martha & the Vandellas
6. Reach Out (I'll Be There) - The Four Tops
7. Mickey's Monkey - Smokey Robinson & the Miracles
8. Don't Mess With Bill - The Marvelettes
9. Since I Lost My Baby - The Temptations
|Playing Time:||24 min.|
100% Motown '60s is a short, budget-priced compilation offering just a few of the label's hits from that decade; considering that this decade was the label's heyday, it almost seems a bit unjust to offer so few of its many great singles. The Supremes' "Baby Love," the Four Tops' "Reach Out, I'll Be There," and Martha & the Vandellas' "Dancing in the Street" are all classic singles and great choices for this collection, although some fans may gripe that Gladys Knight & the Pips' version of "I Heard It Through the Grapevine" is included here instead of Marvin Gaye's. Gaye is represented by "Pride and Joy," a great song in its own right but just not as striking as his "I Heard It Through the Grapevine." Likewise, the tracks from the Marvelettes, the Temptations, and Smokey Robinson & the Miracles are some of their best, yet not quite the definitive choices one would expect on a collection like this. Trying to sum up Motown's golden age in nine songs is a fool's errand, and 100% Motown '60s isn't quite up to the task, but the songs it does include are good enough to make it an enjoyable, if brief, collection. ~ Heather Phares
eBay Product ID: EPID3494797
Portions of this page Copyright 1948 - 2013 Muze Inc.
All rights reserved.